Saturday, May 26, 2007

In Which I Say Nice Things About Detroit

Today we spent the day in Detroit with my grandmother and uncle. Took the kids to the Detroit Science Center, and WOW. I hadn't been there since they updated it. It is AMAZINGLY better than it used to be. Hip new decor, updated exhibits (that actually work), tons MORE exhibits than they used to have, lots of fun. Boy1 is a big science nut, Girl doesn't do too badly herself, and yours truly is a science fan as well. A family membership is only $70/year, and considering that tickets for our family today cost $36, if we lived closer to Detroit, I would definitely consider a membership.

The DSC had one of my fave cheap souveniers - the penny smasher! Two or three quarters and one penny per kid, and we were good to go.

Hubs and I were impressed by how clean the city looked and how much new development is going in. There were tons of people downtown for the Tigers game and for an event at Hart Plaza (I missed the event name). We even took the People Mover around for a couple of laps. Now, I am usually the first one to let out a *snerk* when the People Mover is mentioned, but it was nice! The People Mover is a great cheap date also, only 50 cents (1 token) per entry, and kids under 7 are free. (Plus, tokens are another fave cheap souvenier of mine.)

About 10-15 years ago, there was a Detroit-area campaign to "Say Nice Things About Detroit." Well, now I feel that I truly can. We had a nice time. Go to Detroit, people! Really!

2 comments:

Khadijha Caitlin said...

I do see things changing but because I live here it just seems slower probably. We quite frequently go on drives through the city checking out all the great historic buildings and their architecture.

heather t said...

Yes, it had been quite a while since I was down there. I used to work in New Center and would have to go downtown for office supplies or whatever. Downtown was always abandoned. Completely desolate. Trash everywhere and only scary-looking people on the street. Sure there are still tons of abandoned buildings and the occasional non-working traffic light, but overall, I was quite impressed with the improvements.