Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Lesson Learned

This, people, is why you must not only knit a swatch, but WASH IT.



Look closely (click for bigger). The red color speckles are running. Grr.

This was supposed to be a gift for a baby due any second. Unacceptable.

Next life: dishcloth. A plain ugly one. No cute ball-band goodness for you! (Stupid yarn.)

The pattern is the "Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono" from Mason-Dixon Knitting. And it is not only Heartbreakingly Cute, but also Super Fast, Really Easy, and CHEAP.

Also heartbreaking with the running dyes.

Thankfully, I went on a booty kick a while back so I have a stash of booties on hand for emergency gifts. ("Booty kick" - heh.) But still. I really wanted to make this baby a sweater. Rats.

6 comments:

Knitterary said...

Oh noooooooooo!
Hate it when that happens. I'd complain to the manufacturer.

Khadijha Caitlin said...

Oh I'm sorry thats horrible!

Hey did you hear about knitterpalooza in lansing? Sept 15th. I'm soooooo going. You should come!

http://reddogknits.wordpress.com/knitterpalooza-2007/

Fiber Chic said...

Ouch!

Anonymous said...

That is too bad :(

Dr. B. said...

Oh, man. That is one cautionary tale. That really, really sucks. I hope you were able to knit up a new one in no time. It is really heartbreakingly cute.

MiRM said...

Wow that is the worst kind of knitting mishap! What yarn was that, anyway? I am about to cast on that same pattern for a baby due in October, but I'm going to use the new Berroco Comfort and if I can finish it with one skein, it will be the cheapest gift evah - $5.50!